With Forest School finally being announced at Ryehills we thought we'd give you a quick oversight into what Forest School is and why it's such an amazing opportunity for the children who attend.
Forest School is a child-centred inspirational learning process, that offers opportunities for holistic growth through regular sessions. It is a long-term program that supports play, exploration and supported risk taking. It develops confidence and self-esteem through learner inspired, hands-on experiences in a natural setting.
Forest School’s learner-centred approach interweaves with the ever-changing moods and marvels, potential and challenges of the natural world through the seasons to fill every Forest School session and programme with discovery and difference. Making each session and every experience a valuable one.
Forest School is defined by Six Key Principles:
1) Forest School is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
2) Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a lifelong relationship between the learner and the natural world.
3) Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
4) Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
5) Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
6) Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners, who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
The Forest School process helps and facilitates more than knowledge-gathering, it helps learners develop socially, emotionally, spiritually, physically and intellectually. It creates a safe, non-judgemental nurturing environment for learners to try stuff out and take risks. Forest School inspires a deep and meaningful connection to the world and an understanding of how a learner fits within it.
Our approach to risk means that learners constantly expand on their abilities by solving real-world issues, building self-belief and resilience. We believe that risk is more than just potential for physical harm, but a more holistic thing, there are risks in everything we do, and we grow by overcoming them. Forest School therefore, helps participants to become, healthy, resilient, creative and independent learners.
Forest School truly is an incredible learning opportunity for all within Early Years and we hope by finally being able to offer this opportunity to children across Climbing High Nurseries that we see so many grow and develop as a result.